Newcastle lead race for ‘another Lascelles’ after update
Newcastle United have “better options” than Joe Rodon in the January transfer market, according to Kevin Phillips.
The former Premier League striker, speaking exclusively to Football initiate, said Rodon, 24, is no improvement on the current harvest of center-backs at St. James’ Park.
Football initiate revealed earlier this month (December 4), the Welsh international was keen to leave Spurs.
The source updated today that Newcastle are leading the race to sign the Spurs player in next month’s window.
Rodon is set to leave the North London club on loan or permanently in search of regular playing time.
His contract with Tottenham runs until the summer of 2025.
When asked Football initiate for his assessment of Rodon’s credentials, Phillips said: “I don’t think it’s an upgrade on [Jamaal] Lascelles.
“I think he’s similar to Lascelles, to be honest.
“Rodon would come to do a job. He’s a good player but is he better than what Newcastle already have? Not necessarily.
“I would like to see a player arrive who has a little experience and who has experience with him. Someone who can come and organize themselves.
“I am always skeptical about the players who are loaned to a club that is struggling at the bottom of the table. Do they really come to fight when it is not their club?
“I think there are better options than Rodon. At the same time, I understand why they are going there.
In other news, Howe decided to sign in January following the £ 6million reveal at Newcastle.